The City of West Hollywood will host a series of events throughout May for the City of West Hollywood's Annual Senior Month celebration. The City has celebrated Senior Month for more than 20 years in honor of its vibrant Senior community. Activities taking place during Senior Month include:
- The Senior Awards Luncheon and Dance will honor outstanding Seniors on Tuesday, May 5, 2009 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Kensington Ballroom at the London West Hollywood, 1020 N. San Vicente Boulevard. Senior awards recipients are Rita Norton, long-time Senior Advisory Board Member and former librarian at the West Hollywood Library and Logan Williams, Manager of Community Health and Education at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
- The City of West Hollywood's Eighth Annual Senior Health Fair will take place on Wednesday, May 13, 2009 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Community Center at Plummer Park, 7377 Santa Monica Boulevard. The Senior Health Fair will feature presentations, health screenings and representatives from more than 50 community organizations. Admission to the Senior Health Fair is free. A complimentary lunch is available for those who make reservations in advance. For more information or to RSVP and reserve a lunch, please call (323) 848-6820.
- The May Senior Advisory Board Meeting and Reception will take place on Wednesday, May 27, 2009 starting at 2 p.m. in Rooms 5 and 6 at Plummer Park, 7377 Santa Monica Boulevard. The City's Senior Advisory Board will discuss important community issues impacting Seniors. Special guests will include Seniors who will read their poems or stories submitted to the annual "Senior Moments" publication. The Senior Advisory Board Meeting will be broadcast live on Citychannel 10 on Time Warner Cable. Admission is free. A reception with refreshments will follow the meeting. For more information, please call (323) 848-6510.
- The Senior/Youth Photography Project Opening Reception will take place on Thursday, May 7, 2009 starting at 7 p.m. at The Village, 1125 N. McCadden Place, Hollywood. The Senior/Youth Photography Project is a collaboration of LGBT, Senior and youth photography exhibits. Refreshments will be served. Admission is free. For more information, please call (323) 860-7394.
During Senior Month, a free lecture series regarding Senior health and safety will be held at the West Hollywood Community Center, 7377 Santa Monica Boulevard. The following is the lecture series schedule:
- The "Emergency Preparedness" lecture will be held on Tuesday, May 19, 2009 from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. The workshop will teach participants about proactive measures to prepare for a disaster and how to turn potential life threatening situations into manageable solutions. Refreshments will be provided. For more information, please call (323) 876-1717.
- The "Cardio-Vascular Diseases" lecture will be held on Thursday, May 21, 2009 from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. Participants will gain knowledge of how to self monitor blood pressure, cholesterol levels and how to minimize risk of heart disease. A healthcare professional will also be available to check participant's vital signs. For more information, please call (323) 876-1717.
For more information regarding the City of West Hollywood Senior Month
activities, please call (323) 848-6510. For the deaf and hard of hearing, please